Sunday, July 10, 2005

Survived the Flood

Yes, we made it through a flood. About a week ago, we had a lot of rain - I know you are saying yeah so we have had a lot too. No seriously we had between 20-28 inches in 48 hours...

Needless to say, it was quite the experience. I was excited - kind of like missing the bus in winter because of a snow storm (for all of you rural Canadian folk). I was sent home from work early and told "Be careful on the road, there is a lot of water" It does grab the wheels much like slush does in the Spring. I made it home and was up in the morning listening to the radio and checking the city website. Low and behold, the road to work was closed. DAMN! I drove Rick to work and was awed by the amount of water everywhere. As you can see, we had to take an alternate route a few times...


These are some before and after pictures of the valley that my house looks down on. Let me tell you, I was glad that we live in the hills and not on the flat land. North and South Lismore and the Central Business District (CBD) were all evacuated for a day.












The government/city built a new levee bank to protect the CBD which worked this time although the river rose 10.4 meters (almost to the top of the levee).

Just as fast as it went up...the water receded within a few days. Unfortunately, I only missed one day of work... Boy did the potholes ever appear after the rain. I have now been through a Lismore flood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home